Tuesday, July 24, 2012


Near Rocky Point, Long Island – July 21st

Another stealth camp and I’m becoming really annoyed with this biker-unfriendly area. 


There’s no reasonable motels or visible B & Bs, few campgrounds, either really upscale or fast food eateries – nothing in between - and the state park I aimed for on today’s ride was full.  This is understandable since it’s a mid-July Saturday and the weather’s nice but I’m surprised how few campgrounds there are.  In summary, I’m getting really frustrated and will be happy to see the end of the ride.


Anyway, today I put 55 miles on the clock on secondary highways through more-or-less flat country.  The weather was high 70s and sunny, the scenery was pretty if not exciting and I’m noticing the changing (lush) vegetation – oak/pine forests with lots of vines and undergrowth (typical Carolinian forest, I think) that’s strange to me.


I passed through the Hampdens, a VERY ritzy area, and after several miles of upscale and overpriced everything, unbelievable bumper-to-bumper traffic and hordes of upscale-looking tourists, I decided to leave the island’s south (open Atlantic) coast to the rich, famous and wannabes and ride the north coast, which some locals I met on yesterday’s ferry told me was somewhat more rural and normal.  So far, this has been the case.


I’m hoping to be in New York City – end of the ride – in two more days.  Hopefully a motel or at least a shower or a beach will show up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment